May 2021-April 2023
Aim of this project is to support low carbon resilient development in Serbia; establishing support elements for local climate and energy planning in Serbia and in the Western Balkans.
Among activities included in this project are:
- Organization of regional” How to win the Balkan air pollution dodgeball” conference 2021 and 2022.
- Preparation of regional report on energy transition, air pollution and energy poverty “Out of pace or out of race”.
- Continued partnership with peers from the region and joint cooperation with regional structures and major stakeholders in the region.
- Preparation of inventory of existing alternative technologies for heating.
- Technology assessment of alternative heating technologies from the perspective of efficiency, emissions standards, levelized costs of heat and other externalities.
- Conduction of regional user perception survey to capture the perceptions and attitudes of the vulnerable population regarding new heating technologies.
- Market and human resource assessment to determine the capacities of the public and private sector to deliver massive changeout schemes in the framework of combatting energy poverty.
- Assessment of existing financing options for improvement of the energy efficiency and the inclusion of the energy poor in such schemes on a regional level. The assessment will cover public sources, commercial loans and development financing, both grants and IFI loans. Please see smarterstoves.resfoundation.org
- Creation and dissemination of knowledge products exploring relations between air pollution stemming from the inefficient combustion of household devices for solid fuel-burning and health impacts in Serbia and in the Western Balkans.
- Provide recommendations (policy, technical, legal, institutional) for the future air pollution reduction support schemes in Serbia by performing the analysis of the process of the support scheme conducted by the Serbian Government in 2021.
- Provide recommendations (policy, technical, legal, institutional) for the future energy efficiency support schemes in Serbia by performing the analysis of the process of the support scheme conducted by the Serbian Government in 2021.
- Inform preparation and implementation of the National Energy and Climate Plan with a particular focus on energy poverty.
- Continued research in gender and energy relationships.
- Preparation of local low carbon development strategies.
- Support to establishment of local energy management, preparation of cadaster of public lighting and energy audits of public buildings.
- Preparation of local development plans that include energy transition as the core topic.
- Support to establishment of local energy agencies.
- Support to design and implementation of local schemes for air pollution reduction and energy efficiency improvement with focus on inclusion of energy poverty.
- Provision of continued public policy education for local decision-makers and civil society organizations in the framework of the Network of Good Energy.
Project is implemented with the support of Rockefeller Brothers Fund.